Wednesday 19 December 2012

OENONE and JAN VIRET

Two items worth recording, I think.

Jan Viret wrote as follows about a year ago in response to my query as to when Elizabeth Downes died.

After the Wrens, in time she became a nannie and remained a very good friend of the family and the two boys she looked after in Little Bardfield.  I don't know exactly the time scale, but she could have been with them for twenty years or so, but remained close to them until she died.  I think it was after this she tested her vocation at East Grinstead, which probably only lasted a couple of months (so quite inappropriate to define her by this - a bit different from dropping out of uni , but maybe similar)  I am sure there were gaps and she probably did other things that I don't know about.
After this she returned to Essex, lived in the almshouse, did nurse training and nursed until she retired.  She was a wonderful cook and gardener. and had many friends.  Ben and I used to visit often from Purley - she was so much a part of Canford, and both Ben and Hermione were very fond of her.
She died in 2008.
-

I have just received a Christmas Card from Oenone Cox, in which she says:

             I wonder if you met up again with Enid's daughter Noel (?) Mary in your early researches into Downes family connections, tho' I think she and Bob and possibly Judy all joined your family in a camping holiday organised by your mother in Cornwall in your extreme youth - she died very recently, after suffering from Parkinsons for some years, so has really jumped the queue for our lot.


(I will comment on the above items when I have got my Downes stuff out of store)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment