Wednesday 10 July 2019

Cherry Conway-Hughes


.
On July 9th Cherry and I (Arthur Carden) much enjoyed meeting each other for the first time in five years when we went to the Globe Theatre together.  See picture on right.

We are both descended from Rev John Downes 1810-90, as follows:
    John Downes m Lucy Todd → Edith Downes m Rev John Houseman → Lucy Houseman m Percy Horton → Cyril Ivan Horton m Helen Dorothy Willink → Rosemary Horton m Rodney Rowley → Cherry Rowley m Christopher Conway-Hughes.
    John Downes m Lucy Todd → Theodosia Downes m Rev Thomas Badcock → Lucy Theodosia Downes m Eustace Carden → Arthur Carden

Five generations for Cherry, only three for me, partly because Edith was Thomas’ eldest daughter and Theodosia his youngest.  Is that “fifth cousins twice removed”?



I am astonished to find that that I have not previously mentioned Cherry’s book in this blog.  The front cover appears on the left.  This book, of at least fifty pages, contains hundreds of photographs (many in colour), family trees and delightful descriptions written by her grandmother Dorothy Horton and many others.  I have taken the above descents from her book. I am sure she will be glad to lend or give a copy to any readers of this blog.  Just apply to cherryconwayhughes@gmail.comShe, and I, would love to hear from any of you in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment