Friday 30 August 2019

Rear-Admiral Dennis Royle Farquharson Cambell CB, DSC




Most readers of this blog will know that Dennis Cambell, Captain of HMS Ark Royal in 1955/6 and inventor of the Angled Flight Deck, married Dorothy Downes. I was a pageboy at their wedding in 1933 – the picture shows I rather disapproved of the outfit I was asked to wear!

Their daughter Lalage Cambell writes: I have launched a new website commemorating my father, replacing the old, very tired website, and I am circulating the link to those cousins for whom I have email addresses in case of interest. It is very much under development and there are several pages that I would like to expand in time.  https://www.denniscambell.org.uk/

She would, I am sure, welcome your comments.

If you scroll down to the entry for October 2017 you will find a picture of their house and the blue plaque fixed over the door.




1 comment:

  1. In your blog of 28.10.17 you refer to this photograph of you and our sister Audrey at the Campbell wedding in 1933. Your presence at the Campbell's 50th anniversary was because of Lamorna's and Lalage's decision that the guests should be all those who attended the wedding. I was also privileged to come to this splendid anniversary party because Audrey pointed out that our mother (whose mother was Theodosia Downes) was pregnant at the time, meaning that I too had attended the wedding!


    ReplyDelete